Application instructions for effect coatings
Printing Gold, Silver, Pearlescent, Tinted Coatings, Opaque White and Matt Coatings
1. These coatings require a coating device fitted with ananilox roller and chambered doctor blade in order to obtain a known and controlled film weight.
2. Different film weights of coating are obtained by changing to more or less coarsely engraved anilox roller. Cell volume should be as follows:
- Gold coatings: letters: 5 - 8 cm³/m² surface: 9 - 12 cm³/m² surface + letters: 7 - 8 cm³/m²
- Silver coatings: letters: 5 - 8 cm³/m² surface: 9 - 12 cm³/m² surface + letters: 7 - 8 cm³/m²
- Pearlescent coatings: 9 - 15 cm³/m² (cell volume depends on size of pigment)
- AQ opaque white: 7 - 11 cm³/m² bending anilox
- UV opaque white: 10 cm³/m² bending anilox
4. The dot gain characteristics of the photopolymer plate should be taken into consideration when processing the film.
5. The plate should be stretched firmly around the coating cylinder to avoid "doubling".
6. Screened Photopolymer plates, sponge rubber, blankets or calibrated underlay sheets should be used.
7. The plate should have lines running from front to back in the non image areas to prevent the sheet from "flapping" on the impression cylinder whilst printing.
8. During printing the speed of the plate surface and of the sheet must be identical to prevent from "slur".
9. There should not be large differences in the calliper of the substrate.
10. Gold and silver coatings must be printed into a "half dry" pre-coating, e. g. TERRAWET High Gloss Coating G 9/665 or TERRAWET Special Coating G 9/595 W. This pre-coating must be adjusted to the to drying capacity and the printing job.
11. The effect coatings should be stirred well before use. While running stir continuously with an adjusted slow stirrer.
12. With gold/silver coatings the end of the return pipe should be above the level of coating in the container in order to prevent from foaming.
13. The tubes should not be directly over the heat source. The temperature of coatings should be 10° C - 15° C. The coating container should be covered during use and closed tightly when not in use.
14. During printing the viscosity of coating must be checked steadily and if a viscosity increase appears, destroy foam by appropriate stirring but do not add solvent, for example alcohols for diluting,only water if necessary!
15. Wash up with the TERRAWET CLEAN Cleaning Agent G 12/180 or a mixture of G 12/180 and water (1:1).
16. Disposal of waste coating and washing water must be through authorized companies.
Effect Coatings should be disposed separately (have a look to the safety material data sheets and data sheets).
17. Size of packaging: 10 kg and 25 kg steel cans.
In case of any questions please contact Research & Development.